Main menu


Oxford City draw 3-3 with Bath City in Vanarama National League South

featured image

Oxford City took a 3-0 lead at Court Place Farm to draw with Bath City.

Josh Parker blew away a berth with a great first-half performance to score the first two goals for the hoops.

The forward netted both sides of Crydy Roros’ penalty in the half that the whoops were in full control of.

But in the second period, the home side conceded three goals in a disappointing afternoon.

The hosts started Day 11 in the Vanarama National League South, suffering their final three losses in the league, but Bass started the afternoon in sixth place, three points behind the play-off places.

All three of Ross Jenkins’ side’s defeats have come against Welling United, Chippenham Town and Chelmsford City.

The head coach has named an unchanged squad from last weekend’s 2-1 win over Salisbury to qualify for the Emirates FA Cup third qualifying round.

The first chance of the afternoon fell to Loros in the opening minutes as the forward allowed space inside the penalty box and shot into the side netting.

It was followed by the opening goal, and it was just eight minutes before Parker scored his first goal in the hoops.

The former Oxford United striker hit the ball over the top and finished past Joe Wright in a Bass goal.

The visitors demanded a quick response and Cody Cook, who was placed in the penalty area, shot into the side netting.

However, the hosts were able to double their lead when a penalty was awarded in the 20th minute.

Aaron Williams Bushel was challenged by Tom Smith before Rollos sent Wright the wrong way from 12 yards.

After 30 minutes of play, Parker was given the chance to score City’s second goal, but he narrowly headed a cross from Reese Fleet’s right.

Injury forced the away side to be substituted just before the break when Joe Raines was replaced by Luke Spoke, before Parker scored the second goal for the hoops on the cusp of half-time.

The 31-year-old slammed into the box six yards from Josh Ashby’s cross to give City the icing on their first-half clinical performance.

Chris Lines was off replacing Rex Mannings an hour earlier as Bass sought a route back into the game, but it was the whoops who had the first clear opportunity in the second period.

The home side broke down the right side and found Parker in a cross who fired low into Wright’s glove.

Shortly after the hour mark, Bass was able to pull the goal back when substitute Mannings hit a home run from outside the box.

Olly Sanderson was then replaced by Gerald Muchetetele, and Alfie Potter came on to replace Parker as Jenkins shuffled the puck.

A little later, however, Alex Fletcher played cleanly on goal and fired a low shot past Ben Dzynski when the Bass were within one goal of City.

Kanis Carroll was then penalized for handballing inside the penalty box and Cook passed Duzynski to level the proceedings.

Fletcher had a chance to complete an improbable comeback, but his header was held firmly by Duzinski.

With five minutes remaining, the game was suspended for almost ten minutes when it turned out that the referee was down with an injury and the replacement referee ran the line.

This resulted in long injury time, but neither team was able to find a winner.

City of Oxford: Dudzinski; Williams Bushel, Carroll, Harrison, Coyle. Ashby, Fleet. Lolos, McEachran (Fischer 79), Parker (Potter 65); Sanderson (Muchetetele 65).